Kalle Lampela: Research of the Not Known


Exercise Drawing No. 12





Exercise Drawing No. 13 





Walking Drawing Meditation No. 44




Walking Drawing Meditation No. 57




Walking Drawing Meditation No. 81





Walking Drawing Meditaton No. 100




I do performative walking projects and text based works. Playfulness and experimental approach are key aspects in my drawing practice. Energy springs from bodily movements. The crucial aspect that interests me is combining exercise, D-I-Y-sensibility, and artistic practice. More spiritually, to me artistic practice is philosophical reflection. In a deeper – metaphysical or existential – level the durational, temporal aspect is the core. It is fascinating to experience traces and elements accumulate as time passes by.

I consider my artistic practice as research of the not-known, in terms of artistic research. In addition to that I do also qualitative research on art sociological issues. Main themes of interest are everyday aesthetics, the concept of art, and critical literature on exclusive western art world. I like to reflect Allan Kaprow’s idea of non-art and to consider whether we are witnessing the dawn of a post-art age.

I used to paint and work collaboratively with installations and political pieces. I produced figurative drawings and collages and exhibited them actively. However, I nowadays find traditional art forms and art venues too narrow for me. I see them generally in the service of career, or of success and of compulsive personal visibility within the parameters of exclusive art institution. It is crucial to me to keep everyday artistic practice going on, but at the same time hold on a somewhat detached attitude, meditative withdrawal at its core.

https://www.instagram.com/kalle_lampela/

Walking blog (in Finnish): https://jaloittelemassa.blogspot.com

 

Bio

Kalle Lampela (b.1973) was born, lives and works in Rovaniemi, Lapland, in Northern Finland. In 2012 Mr. Lampela earned a Ph.D from Faculty of Art and Design at the University of Lapland. The doctoral dissertation addressed attitudes visual artists take toward utilizing art socially and economically, and addressed the question whether art has a socio-critical function. Kalle Lampela currently teaches and does research in the arts as an associate professor in visual arts at the Faculty of Art and Design at the University of Lapland.


Comments