Walkabout: Rosaire Appel, Mark F. Green, and Nicole Lenzi

Rosaire Appel, Mark F. Green, and Nicole Lenzi take photographs of light, shadow, and architecture while walking around their urban neighborhoods, leading them rediscover their surroundings each day. 


Rosaire Appel, from morning walk series.




Rosaire Appel, from morning walk series.




Rosaire Appel, from morning walk series.




Rosaire Appel, from the morning walk series. 





Rosaire Appel, from the morning walk series.



.


Rosaire Appel, from the morning walk series.




Mark F. Green




Mark F. Green




Mark F. Green




Mark F. Green





Mark F. Green




Nicole Lenzi, Sight Drawing (Shadows and Shimmer in the City No.15, 3:02 p.m.).




Nicole Lenzi, Sight Drawing (Shadows and Shimmer in the City No 18, 3:07 p.m.)




Nicole Lenzi, Sight Drawing (Shadow and Shimmer in the City No. 20, 3:24 p.m.).





Nicole Lenzi, Sight Drawing, (Shadow and Shimmer in the City No. 23, 3: 32 p.m.)


Rosaire Appel

In the 1990’s, I took photographs of deliberate light/shadow studio situations and spent a lot of time in a black and white darkroom. Now I take snapshots on the fly. Essentially I just walk everywhere. I notice things-anomalies, temporary situations like light and shadow-when my hand reaches for my iphone I do not resist. I’m not actively looking for pictures and I’m not making a collection of images-but pictures happen, and I do have an awful lot of images.

Breif Bio:

I’ve lived in New York a long time. I write visual books and asemic music and abstract comic books. Many of these have been published here and internationally, in print and online. My visual sound drawings have found their way into magazines and have been exhibited locally.

 

Mark Green

I am interested in our relationships with the world around us and the spaces we pass through and live within. Walking satisfies my need to be outdoors and is becoming an increasingly important aspect of my practice. I am fascinated by maps, routes, tracks and boundaries. Some boundaries are marked on maps and others are determined by where you are standing and how far you can see. Stopping to notice and appreciate beauty in the ‘every day’ or find significance in the overlooked or banal informs my decisions about what to take pictures of and how. For me, photography is the ideal medium for capturing transitory moments and brief encounters. The relationship between my sculptural and photographic work is in the way light falls, creating shadows and reflections. Sunlight in particular is fascinating in this respect as the direction, intensity and temperature are constantly in flux. My photographs, as well as a being records of a thing, place or event are pictorial experiments with the formal elements of composition, tone, colour, texture, shape, space and line. 

Bio

I am an artist and educator, living and working in the outskirts of Manchester in the North West of England. Graduating from Manchester Metropolitan University in 1994 with a BA(Hons) in Crafts, my early work was sculptural, using concrete and mosaic tiles to create pieces for urban renewal projects. Still concerned with environments, both urban and rural, my work now is mostly photography based.

 

Nicole Lenzi

Sight Drawings are observations of "drawings" seen in passing. They may share formal qualities, like line and shadow, with traditional works or stir the imagination to for new ones to come. No interventions are made. They are responses to what could be.

Bio

Nicole Lenzi takes an interdisciplinary approach to expand the concept of drawing that includes installation, photography, and works on paper. She maintains a blog on contemporary drawing practices, Expanded. Lenzi is based in Baltimore, MD, United States.

Comments