Justin Sorensen: Intersections

I believe in speaking simply. In less than ten years I’ll be forty, and in thirty-nine years I’ll be seventy. I assume at that point I’ll finally have something to say if I’m not too tired to say it. 

I was asked once if I was religious. When the question came I figured that I was not speaking clearly enough, that maybe I needed to start over. I then realized the question came out of what I was fixing my words to, that if anything I needed to be seeking clarity in my gestures. As much as I wanted to, I couldn’t just say yes.


To put it simply, my work circles around a religious platform. I imagine it to be tall and white, which is to say I don’t really know what it looks like. I can’t quite see the shape. Moreover, it’s not clear to me if being religious means standing on top of it, or committing myself to traveling around it.



The Transfiguration, gold leaf on rock





    I Went In Bitterness, mixed media on paper
    - After drawing Moby- Dick on a sheet of paper measuring over 18 feet lon the image
      is then removed from the wall and rolled up, never to be seen again.






Portrait of Jorge Luis Borges, graphite on acrylic ground on paper







    August 24th, detail, graphite on acrylic ground on paper
    - From a series of drawings exploring the landscape around my childhood home in
      Pennsylvania.




About
Justin Sorensen is an artist based in Mount Vernon, Ohio. Orginally from Northwestern Pennsylvania, Sorensen received his BFA from Kutztown University in Kutztown, PA before moving on to complete his MFA at the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence, RI. His work has been shown throughout the United States, Canada, and Japan. His expanded studio practice explores perceptions of time, religion, history, and nature at the intersection and overlap of performance, sculpture, photography, and drawing. See more of Sorensen's work at http://justinsorensen.us/home.html.

Comments