Monika Supe: The Progress of Time

Flip Book. 2011. 




Flip Book. 2011.



I am interested in space and in our relationship to space and time. I want to know how we perceive these and how we react in these. That’s why questions concern me like: what is the difference between “space” and “body”; what means “inside” and what “outside”; when do we feel comfortable somewhere inside, when do we feel barred from something. And also: what is the difference between “past”, “present” and “future” and how are they connected.

Against this background I make drawings in two and three dimensions. Often I create objects built from wire, because wire is like a line, so I can draw into space in three dimensions. I can check out the border between two-dimensional expanse, body and space. Sometimes I reduce wire to coverings by crocheting. People can stretch them and slip inside. I document their movement by taking a series of pictures and so I can hold on to that moment.







Koerper - innen Außen 7. 2012.





Objektumzeichnung 1. 2012. 




Crocheting, knitting or sewing are manual methods used in handicraft. I like them because I can visualize the working process: with their eyes visitors can follow the way of wires, threads or something else and are able to trace back the progress of time. So I can visualize and store something which is normally invisible – time. That’s why also I make drawings in a special way: their structures look like knitting. All the meshes are connected in a linear way and they are woven in the same direction how they are drawn. It seems as if time has to be linear, but physics reveal something different.   

Also I play with dimensions and our perception. I create objects and also use wire pieces but in a different way. These pieces cast shadows on the background which look like drawings. Some of these shadows connect themselves with a real picture on the wall, other are flexible according to the angle of lighting. All of them create the illusion of space and body, but nothing is
what it seems to be.






Objektumzeichnung 2. 2012.






Objektumzeichnung 3. 2012.




Umzeichnung Fuss Hand Haende 2.




Umzeichnung Hand.



Chronograph Endlos. 11 5.






Endlos.



About
1967 born in Munich. 1995 Diplom-Ingenieur Architektur, Technical University of Munich.
1998 Architect, Bavarian professional Association of Architects.
1998-2000 Assistant Lecturer in construction and design, Technical University of Kaiserslautern. Since 2004 lectures at universities, at the Bavarian professional Association of Architects and the Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs and at Fortbildungsinstitut der Landeshauptstadt München. 2006 Doctorate with Honours, Technical University of Kaiserslautern. 1995-2010 Lecturer in architectural graphics, drawing, methods of design, theory in perception, theory in aesthetics and design, University of Applied Sciences Weihenstephan Freising and Academy of Fashion and Design AMD Munich. 2010-2011 Professor for interior design, Academy of Fashion and Design AMD Munich.
Since 2011 freelance artist.

Comments



  1. Nice post. it is very interesting and informative. Thank you for the sharing.
    How to Use a Dremel to Cut Glass?

    ReplyDelete

  2. I just want to say thanks for your wonderful post, it is contain a lot of knowledge and information that i needed right now. Now i need to my bolg, you can play game fun, action here :
    How to Use a Dremel Tool?

    ReplyDelete

  3. Well thanks for the information, do not forget to visit my blog too.
    How to Carve Wood with a Dremel Tool?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment